What are the benefits of treating people with compounded “Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy (BHRT)”?
A diverse committee from the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine, in partnership with the FDA, will carry out a report to measure the clinical power of treating individuals with compounded "bioidentical hormone replacement therapy (BHRT)” medications.
The committee will:
- Review the existing patient history of compounded BHRT medications, and other compounded products, and to document the care of patients, including the conditions compounded medications have showcased in their history.
- Describe the physical and chemical substance characteristics of compounded BHRT medications (example: active components, inactive components).
- Review and measure the available proof, or insufficient evidence, concerning the safety and performance of compounded BHRT medications.
- Review findings and make recommendations based on the obtainable evidence regarding the medical utility of compounded BHRT medications.
- And finally, find the available evidence for:
- Clinical utility of BHRT medications;
- Whether safety and efficiency helps BHRT practice on patients; and
- Supporting the replacement of BHRT medications with FDA-approved products.
The FDA plans to distribute all updates about this study with the public as information becomes available.